3.01.2005

Old v. The State of New

It's been a bad day, please don't take my picture.

Without going into the details; today is one of those days that either make me wish I never got out of bed - or - that my bed was actually constructed from a chorus of buxom nymphets bestowed with the humbling powers of the Happy Ending. Alas, my bed is from Ikea.

I have been giving quite a lot of thought to Old versus New lately. There are many people who would prefer the things in life that provide them with the comfort of familiarity(i.e. people, relationships, ideals). Certainly there is real value in knowing something/one so well that curiosity can be replaced by understanding. I am not one of those people. The moment I begin to understand something is the same moment I begin to lose interest. I have not yet been able to find the causality for this, and I doubt I ever will. Nonetheless, I keep looking.

In the interim: I want to change. I want to be able to stop shopping at the thrift store of life and start rummaging though my meta-dresser full of well-worn old favorites. I also want better metaphors, but that’s neither here nor there. I owe this to the people who care about me.

Time is a feller that I have always been half fascinated by, half resentful of. Perhaps one day Time and I will go out for lunch and, while it will be full of small-talk and awkward silences, maybe I can will get past my jealously.

No comments: